Are you stuck trying to figure out what career you want? Or is your main challenge that you have a hard time getting there? Whatever the case, your frustration is understandable. Taking care of your career these days means managing perpetual motion. Organizations keep reshaping itself, shifting and flexing to fit the rapidly changing world.
You may very well know what you want to do in life. All you really need is a little help to build the path to the career of your dreams.
Now is your time to get it done and this foolproof plan is all you need:
- Identify careers you like. By now, you must have identified tons of careers that interest you. It's normal to have your interest switch from one career path to another. This can happen as your life unfolds. Start with writing a list of those that interest you right now.
- Writing them helps to cement your interest from the get-go.
- It's important that you include all careers that interest you, regardless of how others feel about them. Write what gets you excited – the work that you dream about.
- Determine the drivers for your interest. After writing the list, it's time to shortlist! This is when you dig deep and determine what causes your interest in each case. Be honest with yourself and identify the real reasons you're interested.
- Is it because you'd join the long list of family members who entered a specific career? Remember, this is based on what you want to do. Forget family tradition for a second.
- What about finances? Do you see yourself in a career because of how much money it can make you? Certainly, it would be great to earn a good paycheck from a career. But think long and hard about that being your main motivation.
- At the end of the day, the recommended focus for a career choice is what makes you happy. The last thing you want is to be in a job that makes you miserable. The biggest paycheck doesn’t have the ability to make you happy.
- Find multiple options for getting there. Now, it's time to get creative. How do you plan on getting hold of that dream career?
- Use the internet as a solid research tool. With the internet, you can find many options for embarking on a career of choice.
- The traditional method is to pursue tertiary education. Find courses and degree programs that can give you the necessary training. Having the know-how to go along with the interest is a great combination.
- Look for opportunities to apply for internships. It's okay if an internship doesn’t pay or pays very little. Remember, you'll be getting valuable experience. Internship tied in with knowledge gained at school will strengthen your expertise.
You're at a crucial stage in life. Making a career decision that’s right for you is critical to your happiness. So take the time to focus on each step of the equation.
You owe it to yourself to succeed! Become that success story and the kind of example other people can follow. Do something that you'll be proud of at the end of the day.
Remember, careers come and go. Jobs Change. This is nothing new – it’s just happening much faster than ever before. We are all in an era that requires us to reinvent not just ourselves and our organizations but also entire product categories and markets.